Emergency Response and Preparedness Plan (PDF)
Quick Reference Guide
If an active threat or lockdown situation occurs, please follow these steps:
- Dial 911.
- Close and lock door and barricade.
- Turn off all the lights.
- Gather everyone in the corner of the room out of sight and remain quiet.
- Do not leave the room searching for students.
- Do not answer the door.
- Stay in the room until evacuated by the police.
- Be prepared to stay in lockdown for an extensive period of time.
- Take attendance - make list of all people in room. Hold until requested.
If you observe a threatening disturbance, follow these steps:
- Dial 4777 and report the incident with specific location information (i.e. building and nearest room number).
- Limit staff or students from entering the area.
- Security personnel will immediately report to the identified area.
If an evacuation from the campus becomes necessary, the following procedures will be implemented:
- An announcement will be made giving specific directions for leaving the building(s) or parking lot(s).
- Medi Van will be called to provide transportation for individuals with disabilities.
- If necessary, children in daycare will be transported to a safe and secure area.
Anyone seeing a fire should:
- Activate the nearest fire alarm.
- Dial 4777 to report the fire.
- Leave the building via the closest available exit
- Move to the emergency evacuation assembly areas.
- Remain outside until an "all-clear" announcement is made.
If you observe an individual with an apparent medical emergency, follow these steps:
- Assess the situation (i.e., unresponsiveness, pulse, breathing, bleeding).
- Call out to obtain nearby help.
- Dial 4777 from any FVTC office phone or use a RED emergency phone. State that you have a Medical Emergency, give specific location information (building or room) and some information about the nature of the illness/injury. Whenever possible, someone should stay with the injured/ill person.
- Begin CPR if the person isn't breathing and doesn't have a pulse.
When a tornado warning is issued for the Appleton and/or Outagamie County area, the following steps are implemented:
- An announcement is made alerting students and staff of the warning.
- All students and staff should report to the designated shelter areas on the first floor. Do not leave the building.
- When the threat of a tornado has passed or the tornado warning has been cancelled an announcement will be made indicating that people can leave the designated shelter areas.
The person receiving the call should:
- Attempt to gain as much information as possible from the caller.
- Dial 4777 to report the bomb threat to Security Services.