The verification process is a tool used to ensure accuracy and completeness of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and to assist with proper awarding.
A student's FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) may be selected for the verification
process by the Department of Education while others are selected by the school.
After filling out the FAFSA, students will receive a Student Aid
Report (SAR) that indicates if further action will be required by the
- If the SAR indicates that the student has been selected for verification, a "To Do List" item will be posted to the student's MyFVTC account. This section will identify the required documents (i.e. Verification Worksheet, etc) that must be submitted to FVTC's Financial Aid Office.
- In addition to the "To Do List" section on MyFVTC, a “Missing Information” letter will be sent to the student indicating any
forms or documentation required for the verification process.
- Compare the SAR with the documents being submitted so no further documents will be required.
Failure to provide the necessary information in a
timely manner will delay processing and may limit the type and amount
of aid available to the student. All worksheets and additional required documentation must be submitted by June 30 to ensure that awarding is complete prior to
the beginning of the Fall term. This process generally takes up to four weeks from the time all documentation has been submitted.
If your 2012-2013 FAFSA is selected for verification, Fox Valley Technical college is required to verify the following:
- Tax Information - Use the IRS DATA RETRIEVAL option to ensure accuracy and save time!!
- Household size
- Number of dependents enrolled in college
- Child support paid
- Food Stamps / SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), if you reported on your FAFSA that anyone in your household received SNAP benefits.
- Students are able to apply for financial aid for the fall term beginning in January; however, FVTC does not begin processing the FAFSA information for the fall term until the end of April. It is at this time that "To Do List" items will be attached and documentation can begin to be submitted by students.
- All students are responsible for tuition, books, related fees and payment plans until financial aid is awarded.