What is the purpose of the Peer Mentoring Outreach Program?
The purpose of the Peer Mentoring Outreach Program is to increase the social, academic and career success of first year and continuing students. Peer Mentors will have specific knowledge of college resources, including but not limited to referral resources, MyFVTC, FVTC website, etc. In addition they will provide outreach contact to help students in their transition into college and assisting mentees in the following ways:
- Developing and enhancing a sense of student identity
- Effectively integrating into college and the campus as a whole
- Gaining a sense of purpose about being in college and pursuing their goals
- Acquiring the necessary skills to become independent and life-long learners
What does a Peer Mentor do?
- Serve as a role model for student success and excellence
- Assist their mentees in understanding and connecting to college resources
- Answer general questions about FVTC
- Serve as good listeners and offer ideas, as appropriate
- Provide appropriate referral to campus resources, activities, student organizations, and programs
What are the qualifications and how do I apply to become a Peer Mentor?***
***We are not accepting new applications at this time. Please watch your email for the next hiring opportunity.
- Click HERE to obtain an application packet, which includes the qualifications required. The application packet that you submit must include:
- The application, completed in the format given. Hand-written applications will not be accepted.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript from your MyFVTC account.
- 2 Letters of recommendation (at least one should be from a FVTC faculty or staff member). These forms are attached to the application packet above. FVTC recommendations can be sent directly to Counseling Services, Room E121.
If you have any questions about this process please contact us at 920-735-5696.